The Railway Tunnel in Kefar Rosh Haniqra was built to function as a pathway on a main route from Acre to Tyre for a group of traders and armies between Lebanon, Syria and the northern public, and Israel Egypt, Africa and the southern public. The site was called “The Ladders of Tyre” since the road has a steep slope when it raised the cliff.
Alexander the Great penetrated all the way from Rosh Haniqra to the Land of Israel in the year 333. It is already assumed that he has carved a tunnel in the rock to make it possible for his army from Tyre to gain access on the passage. Acknowledgement was given to Alexander of Macedonia for carving the tunnel.
The British Army was able to enter to Lebanon through Rosh Haniqra during the First and the Second World Wars. The road from Haifa to Beirut happened to pass here between the wars. In 1943, the British dug a 250-meter tunnel through the rock and placed a railway line, border station and customs house.
In the early period of the War of Independence, the railway bridge was destroyed by the Palmah troop to prevent a possible invasion of Lebanese army. Nevertheless, after the Armistice Agreement, the Lebanese Army was sent away.
The Railway Tunnel in Kefar Rosh Haniqra turned into a tourist spot after the War of Independence. Today, it is now considered as a part of a natural reserve.
Readers found more information by searching for:
You might also like: