Hezekiah’s Tunnel in Jerusalem is one of the several tourist spots with historical significance. Considered as one of the excellent creation of water engineering in the pre-classical period, this tunnel goes below Ophel in Jerusalem. The construction period is approximately in 701 BC under the supremacy of the King of Judah, Hezekiah.
In the City of David, which is outside the Old City walls of Jerusalem is Hezekiah’s Tunnel found. Its length is 1750-foot (530m). If it had stayed on a straight line, the length would have been 1070 ft (335m) or 40% shorter. The best way to get to the tunnel is from the Dung Gate, which is closest to the Western Wall.
The major purpose for which Hezekiah’s Tunnel was constructed was to serve as a channel and supply Jerusalem with water. It starts from the Gihon Spring and ends in the Pool of Siloam. The tunnel was also created to hide water from the Assyrian Army, headed by Sennacherib in 701 B.C. King Hezekiah closed the openings of the Gihon spring while sculpting out a twisting tunnel through bedrock.
The existence of the tunnel is noteworthy, providing a divine intervention of God in saving Jerusalem and reminding us that everything written in the bible is genuine.
If you want to journey back in time, take a walk through the dark tunnel. It is highly advisable to bring a flashlight to guide you as you walk through the knee-deep water and wear water shoes.
You can wade through Hezekiah’s Tunnel and end up in the Shiloah Pool. This great activity is recommended for older kids and teenagers. It is best to engage in this during spring, summer or fall – the water is freezing cold in winter.
Visting hours are as follows: Sun-Thu: 08:00-17:00 Fri: 08:00-13:00 Admission: 23 NIS adults; 12 NIS children/seniors
Readers found more information by searching for:
- tunnel walk in Jerusalem (2)
- tunnel and jerusalem (2)
- Hezekiah hid the Gihon Springs (2)
- body size restrictions for hezekiah\s tunnel (1)
- what to wear for hezikiah (1)
- Western Wall Tunnel is also Hezekiahs tunnel (1)
- hour time it takes to walk through hezekiah\s tunnel (1)
- hezekiah\s tunnel length (1)
- hezekiahs tunnel vs western wall tunnel (1)
- hezekiahs tunnel in jerusalem (1)
- hezekiahs tunnel (1)
- Hezekiah hid the Gihon spring (1)
- hezekiah channel toerist information (1)
- gihon spiring (1)
- can you walk through hezekiahs tunner in march (1)
- what to wear for tunnel tour jerusalem (1)
You might also like: