Jewish weddings are typically full of rituals representing the importance of the relationship of husband and wife and their obligations to a Jewish lifestyle. As a guest, it is of much importance to understand the basics of Jewish weddings and to behave properly. I have listed below some tips on how to act appropriately when attending a Jewish wedding.
- Observe proper dress code. Most formal weddings have dress code listed in their wedding invitations. Most Jewish weddings are formal affairs. Women are expected to wear their best evening gowns and a ‘coat and black-tie’ attire for men. If you are unsure what to wear, it is best to ask the wedding organizer and confirm the occasion’s dress code than be placed into an awkward situation.
- If you are going to attend a Chassidic or Yeshivish wedding, you should learn that men and women are required to sit separately (men are seated on one side and women on the other side of the aisle).
- A Jewish wedding is not the proper venue to air your opinions on gender separation or any other political or social issues. You should respect and follow the decision of the bride and groom.
- Haven’t decided on your wedding gift yet? It is best to ask the bride and groom what they would like to receive as wedding gift. You can give your contribution to the wedding registry list of the couple. Money as gift is very common among Jewish weddings . You can also give kosher/Jewish gifts like Jewish books, wedding cups, and Shabbat candles.
- Never hesitate to ask questions. If it is your first time to attend a Jewish wedding, you will probably encounter unfamiliar traditions and customs.
- Enjoy the occasion and share with the happiness of the newlyweds.
Readers found more information by searching for:
- Jewish Wedding (538)
- jewish wedding dress code (35)
- orthodox jewish wedding (34)
- attending a jewish wedding (32)
- how to act jewish (30)
- how to behave at a jewish wedding (17)
- how to act at a jewish wedding (11)
- conservative jewish wedding (5)
- jewish wedding attire (5)
- the jewish wedding in russia do the men and women sit in different rooms (5)
- jewish lifestyle (5)
- how to behave properly on certain chinese occasion (4)
- jewish wedding gift money (4)
- jewish husband and wife (4)
- attending Jewish wedding (4)
- jewish wedding gift money how much (3)
- Jewish black tie weddings (3)
- tips for attending a jewish wedding (3)
You might also like: