The Old Cemetery in Tel Aviv is also known as the Trumpeldor Cemetery situated in Trumpeldor Street, Tel Aviv. The cemetery was founded in 1903 in an open area nortwards Jaffa during a cholera epidemic hit the city of Jaffa. The casualties of the epidemic were the first people buried in the cemetery, followed by the early residents, city founders, persons who are known in the city and country of Israel like Moshe Sharett, the second Prime minister of Israel.
The main gate of the cemetery and oldest one is situated in the eastwards of the current gate opened in 1926 during the interment of Max Nordau, the co-founder of the World Zionist Organization and also the president or vice president of several Zionist congress and builders of the city of Tel Aviv. It has a total area of 10.6 Acres and has an estimated 5,000 graves were buried. It is the only cemetery in Tel Aviv till 1932 when Nahalat Yitzhak cemetery was established.
Now a days, persons who are holding long ago permits and small number of people who can afford to pay thousands of dollars are buried in the cemetery.
Readers found more information by searching for:
- nachalat yitzchak cemetery (2)
- nahalat yitzhak cemetery (2)
- oldest cemetery in tel aviv (2)
- nahalat yitzhak cemetery israel graves (1)
- polish cemetery jaffa (1)
You might also like: