The Church of the Multiplication also referred to as The Church of the Multiplication of the Loaves and Fishes is a church situated in ancient Heptapegon called Tabgha, which is found on the Sea of Galilee on the northwest shore. The church is positioned on the area of the 4th-5th century churches, although the Church of the Multiplication is contemporary. An original Christian mosaic and the traditional stone from where the miraculous meal took place were well preserved.
The Church of the Multiplication was first constructed in c.350. It was rather small with the actual size of 15.5 meters x 9.5 meters. It somewhat has different versions as compared to the churches soon after. Around 480, the church was extensively expanded, adding marvelous floor mosaics. During the 6th century, the mosaics were restored. However, at around 685 AD, the church was obliterated.
The Deutsche Verien vom Heilige Lande acquired the place and unearthed it in the year 1932. In 1936, a protective cover on top of the mosaic was put up. The new Church of the Multiplication of the Loaves and Fishes substituted the church in 1982.
The Church of the Multiplication has many wonderful things to see. The table of the Lord made from limestone, an attractive mosaic that has been renovated of two fishes neighboring a basket of loaves and the famous 5th century figurative mosaic floor that is considered as the church’s major highlight.
A minority of the 5th century parts of the Byzantine church are preserved in the modern church, which includes the shelf of the left entrance to the atrium as well as the basalt paving stones. Tourists could not help but be mesmerized and amaze by the beauty of the church.
You might also like: