Nimrod Fortress in Kiryat Shmona, Israel also known as the “Castle of the Large Cliff” is one of the most extraordinary and one of the largest fortress in Israel. Situated inside a National park in the northern of Golan heights, on a cliff high above the ancient city of Banias with the view from the south-western tower of the Crusader city. The fortress was built by Al-Aziz Uthman, the second Ayyubid Sultan of Egypt in 1229, to protect any endeavor on Damascus by the sixth crusade. The fortress was named after Nimrod, the mighty warrior of the bible who according to the beliefs had lived on the summit.
The entire fortress has the size of 500 feet in width and 1350 feet in length and is made of large squared stones. Beside the walls are several rectangular and semi circular towers in pointed cross-arches roofs. With it’s impressive size, the fortress has also other qualities to enjoy, such as the the secret passage and exits for a surprise attack, windows wide on the inside but looks narrow on the outside to grant protection and convenience to an inside bow shooter and other tricks and dungeons.
Readers found more information by searching for:
You might also like: