The menorah is the basic religious symbol of Hanukkah. There are many speculations as to how the use of menorah started. Some people believe that the menorah is a symbol taken from the idea of the burning bush that Moses witnessed on the mountain of Sinai. Others say that the menorah symbolizes the seven planetary bodies that the ancient Jews knew during their time.
According to Jewish history, after the Jews’ successful revolt against the Greek oppressors, they restored and rededicated the Jewish Temple. The Temple’s menorah had only enough oil to light for a day but a miraculous incident happened when the oil lasted for eight days. Since then, the menorah became one of the symbols of the Jewish religion and a significant part of the Hanukkah celebration.
It is therefore very important to light the menorah each night during the entire Hanukkah celebration to commemorate the miracle of the oil in the Temple. Here are some tips in purchasing a Hanukkah menorah:
- Consult your synagogue or your Jewish community group for any resources you may need before buying a menorah.
- Decide on the type and size of menorah you want to buy.
- Start your menorah search in local Judaica stores. Most Judaica stores have good quality of Hanukkah menorahs and other Jewish items that you can choose from.
- You can also find a large variety of menorahs online.
- Seek the advice of your Jewish friends or family members before buying your Hanukkah menorah.
Readers found more information by searching for:
- jewish hanukkah (106)
- chanukah menorah (42)
- symbol of hanukkah (32)
- hanukkah staken (30)
- pictures of menorah for hanukkah (25)
- hanukkah symbol (21)
- hanukkah stake (15)
- light menorah (14)
- jewish friends (12)
- pictures of hanukkah symbols (12)
- Menorah for hanukkah (11)
- MENORAH DE HANUKKAH (10)
- menorah symbol (10)
- symbol for hanukkah (9)
- hanukkah oil (8)
- hanukkah menorahs (7)
- what is about the menorah on Hanukkah (7)
- menorah light (7)
You might also like: