In the Torah, God commands Jews to hang a mezuzot on doorposts. Two portions of Torah are written on the parchment.These are Shema (Deuteronomy 6:4-9) and Vehaya (Deuteronomy 11:13-21). The Shema is a reminder of God’s presence in our lives and of our responsibility to keep God’s commandments in our hearts. Vehaya serves as an assurance of God’s blessings if we follow his commandments. The mezuzah can be affixed on every room of the house except for the bathroom entrance.
- With the prayer facing up, put the parchment in your hand. Roll it from left to right. Note that the prayer should be inside as you roll it. The Hebrew word Shaddai should be seen from outside.
- Insert the parchment inside the mezuzah cover. The word Shaddai should be behind the Shin.
- Fasten the mezuzah outside of your door post, at the right hand side.
- The mezuzah should be affixed diagonally. The top of the case must lean into the house.
- Say the following blessing: “Baruch attah adunay, Eloheynu Melekh Haolam, asher kiddeshanu be-mitzvotav, be-tzivanu, likbu ha mezuzah.” (Blessed are you, our God, creator of time and space, who enriches our lives with holiness, commanding us to fix the mezuzah).
- Say the Shahecheyanu blessing: “Baruch ata adunay, Eloheynu Melekh Haolam, shehecheyanu v’ki-y’manu v’higi-yanu laz’man ha-zeh.” (Blessed are you, Our God, who granted us life, and permitted us to reach this time).
- No words should be spoken after reciting the blessings until all mezuzot are hung throughout the house.
Readers found more information by searching for:
- deuteronomy 6:4 (8)
- a mezuzah (7)
- deuteronomy 6 (5)
- deuteronomy 6:4-9 (4)
- shema deuteronomy 6 (3)
- mezuzah how to hang (3)
- photos of mezuzah (3)
- which way is the mazzuzah supposed to lean (3)
- mezuzah lean (3)
- mezuzah with shema (2)
- Deuteronomy 6 :4 (2)
- decorative mezuzah (2)
- affix a mezuzah in house (2)
- picture of a hung mezuzah (2)
- mezuzah pictures (2)
- pictures on how to hang a mezuzah (2)
- Properly Affixa Mezuzah (2)
- how to fix mezuzah (2)
You might also like: