Rabbi Joseph Telushkin
Publisher: Random House
The Golden Land is a museum-in-a-book that devotes a double-page spread-complete with removable letters, documents, and personal effects-to each of the successive waves of Jewish immigration to America, from the Germans and Eastern Europeans in the 19th and early 20th centuries to the refugees from the Nazis in the 1930s and ’40s to the Soviet Jews in the 1970s and ’80s.America was the first nation where Jews were regarded as citizens from the very beginning, and The Golden Land reveals how they converted opportunity to success in fields from commerce, medicine, and science to movies, music, and literature.
The book includes facsimiles of George Washington’s letter to a community of Jews in Rhode Island, Emma Lazarus’s poem that was later inscribed on the base of the Statue of Liberty, Irving Berlin’s handwritten lyrics for “God Bless America,” a quiz challenging readers to guess the original names of American-Jewish show-business celebrities, and plenty of other materials to give readers a real feel for how America changed the Jews and how the Jews changed America.
This item is sold by:
Note: AllJudaica.com is owned by Rosenblum’s World of Judaica, which is one of the oldest Judaica stores in the United States. Their store has been open for over 75 years!
Readers found more information by searching for:
- the story of jewish immigration (3)
- golden land jews (2)
- interactive jewish story (1)
- the golden land: the story of jewish immigration (1)
- the golden land jews (1)
- The golden land jewish (1)
- The Golden Land book (1)
- personal jewish emigration stories (1)
- jews going to the golden land (1)
- history of jewish immigration to US (1)
- jewish immigration usa (1)
- jewish immigration to us documents (1)
- jewish immigration to The Golden Land: The Story of Jewish Immigration to America (1)
- jewish emigration to america (1)
- jewish migration to america (1)
You might also like: