The cabinet secretly decided two weeks ago to cancel compulsory military service for ultra-Orthodox yeshiva students, despite the objections of the Israel Defense Forces. The decision, which followed pressure by the treasury and ultra-Orthodox coalition parties, was made during the intense debates on the Economic Arrangements Law in mid-July. Since the move was not part of the Economic Arrangements Law it was not published and few people knew about it.
Read More: @ haaretz.com
You might also like:
- Sephardi chief rabbi under fire for ‘lenient’ approach to IDF conversions
- Some 700 Haredim riot in Jerusalem after graves removed from Ashkelon ER site
- U.S. has no right to sanction a peaceful nuclear program
- IAF aircraft land at Saudi base
- Two Haredi men shot dead in Tel Aviv; police suspect murder-suicide