The United Nations voted overwhelmingly Thursday to recognize a Palestinian state, a long-sought victory for the Palestinians but an embarrassing diplomatic defeat for the United States.
From the AP:
The resolution upgrading the Palestinians’ status to a nonmember observer state at the United Nations was approved by a more than two-thirds majority of the 193-member world body — a vote of 138-9, with 41 abstentions.
A Palestinian flag was quickly unfurled on the floor of the General Assembly, behind the Palestinian delegation. In the West Bank city of Ramallah, hundreds crowded into the main square waved Palestinian flags and chanted “God is great.” Others who had crowded around outdoor screens and television sets to watch the vote hugged, honked and set off fireworks before dancing in the streets.
Read More: @ crownheights.info
You might also like:
- Palestinian UN diplomat: Palestinians prefer peace treaty with Israel by September
- Abbas to Host Rosh Hashana Toast with MKs
- Could Jews become a minority in Israel? Higher Palestinian birth rates could lead to power shift in one-state solution
- Abbas Makes Case for Palestinian Statehood in NY Times Op-Ed
- Reform Jews at Odds with AIPAC Over Penalizing Palestinians for UN Move