French President Nicolas Sarkozy told French Jews this week that his country “is at the forefront of the struggle against the Iranian nuclear weapon” and reiterated his “commitment and his friendship” towards Israel, the European Jewish Press is reporting.
Sarkozy reportedly made the remarks during a lunch at the Elysee Palace on Wednesday with a delegation of CRIF, the umbrella representative group of French Jewish organizations.
CRIF President Richard Prasquier told EJP that the discussion, which was also attended by French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe, was “very friendly and very open.”
Prasquier noted that Sarkozy addressed the Iraninan issue, and said that France will always stand with Israel if its security is threatened, but voiced his opposition to a military operation “whose consequences would be harmful.”
Read More: @ israelnationalnews.com
You might also like:
- Netanyahu: Hamas should free Gilad Shalit to prove it’s ready for peace talks
- Sarkozy Tells Obama, ‘Netanyahu is a Liar’
- Lieberman: Jerusalem is our eternal capital, it will never be divided
- Lieberman calls on Chabad to encourage aliya
- Netanyahu: Israel will not allow flotilla to breach Gaza naval blockade