An Israeli backpacker was among dozens killed in an earthquake that devastated the city of Christchurch, New Zealand and destroyed its Chabad center.
At least 65 people are reported dead and many buildings toppled, including the city’s Chabad house, in Tuesday’s temblor, which measured 6.3 on the Richter scale.
The Israeli, who has not yet been named by his country’s embassy officials, was in a car with three other Israelis when a building collapsed on them, according to Chabad Rabbi Shmuel Friedman.
Read More: @ jta.org
Readers found more information by searching for:
You might also like:
- Two Torah scrolls saved at Christchurch’s Chabad House
- 80 Jews wounded during protest near Israel Embassy in Ethiopia
- Russia ordered to return documents to Chabad
- Damaged Jewish Center Is Disputed 2 Years After Mumbai Attacks
- Charedim Protest in Washington Over Grave Digging as Netanyahu Visits White House