The number of Israeli Jews passed the emotional 6 million mark in November, and the total population will pass 8 million in February, according to the Central Bureau of Statistics.
The Jewish population represents 75.4 percent of the total, of which Arabs are 20.6 percent, representing a continuing trend of a higher Jewish birth rate and a lower Arab birth rate.
The other four percent of the Israeli population includes Christians, other faiths and 319,000 people who call themselves Jewish but are not recognized as such according to Jewish law. Almost all of them are from the former Soviet bloc.
As January 1 approached, the total population was 7,981,000, 1.8 per cent higher than the previous year.
Read More: @ israelnationalnews.com
You might also like:
- Israeli Jewish Population Set to Pass 6 Million
- Could Jews become a minority in Israel? Higher Palestinian birth rates could lead to power shift in one-state solution
- 58 Percent of Jewish Israelis are Religious or ‘Traditionalist’
- Slight Drop in Jewish Immigration to Israel
- AllJewishLinks.com Newsletter Issue # 61 – January 03, 2013