San Francisco-area Jewish organizations condemned a proposed ballot measure to outlaw Jewish ritual circumcision in the city.
The Anti-Defamation League, the local Jewish Community Relations Council, the Board of Rabbis of Northern California and the American Jewish Committee together issued a statement expressing “great concern” about the proposed measure, which would make the practice of brit milah, or ritual circumcision, on anyone under age 18 a misdemeanor carrying a $1,000 fine.
“For thousands of years, Jews around the world have engaged in this important religious ritual, which is of fundamental importance in the Jewish tradition,” the statement said. “The organized Jewish community is deeply troubled by this initiative, which would interfere with the rights of parents to make religious decisions for their own families.”
Read More: @ jta.org
Readers found more information by searching for:
- circumcision jewish (3)
- U S states condeming circimscion (2)
- australia circumcision ban anti-semitic (1)
- ban circumcision israel (1)
- ban circumcision san francisco jews (1)
- ban jewish circumcision (1)
- banning circumcision is anti-semitic (1)
- rabbi condems circumcision (1)
You might also like: