The very first meeting between Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Barack Obama following the latter’s assumption of the American presidency was preceded by a dramatic decision by Israel’s Supreme Court. On May 18, 2009, the High Court of Justice issued gave the state 90 days to detail steps it had taken to dismantle six unauthorized outposts in the West Bank (Mitzpeh Lachish, Givat Asaf, Ramat Gilad, Ma’aleh Rehavam, Mitzpeh Yitzhar and Givat Haro’eh) .
As with all outposts, the houses, roads and infrastructure in these locations had all been constructed illegally, some on private Palestinian land. And, following a petition by the left-wing NGO Peace Now, the justices demanded that the state explain why it had not ousted these trespassers.
Read more : @ haaretz.com
Readers found more information by searching for:
You might also like:
- Rabbi Wolpo: Fire rubber bullets back at soldiers
- Will Rabbinical Court get female director?
- IDF prepares to demolish yeshiva at West Bank settlement Yitzhar
- Disappointment As Judge Fails To Overturn The Sentence Of 6 Yrs for Yakov Yosef Ben Raizel
- State seeks to maintain Yigal Amir’s solitary confinement