David L. Lieber
Etz Hayim is a publication of the Conservative Movement, produced through a joint venture with The Rabbinical Assembly, the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, and The Jewish Publication Society. Additional support was generously provided by the sponsorship of William Davidson, Rabbi Harold and Suzette E. Kushner, the Rapaport Family, and Bruce and Shelley Whizin.
This new chumash features the renowned 1985 JPS English translation, considered by scholars to be the most authoritative translation of Hebrew Scripture, reflecting the latest findings in biblical scholarship, archaeological research, comparative Semitics, and linguistic analysis.
Additional features make this commentary a most important and meaningful text for lay and clergy alike:
– Authoritative Hebrew text according to masoretic tradition, based upon the BHS edition of the Leningrad Codex accepted by scholars and rabbinic authorities, and conveniently formatted to match the English translation.
– Essays on key themes by prominent Conservative Movement rabbis and scholars.
– Two separate commentary themes, representing two approaches to interpreting the Torah:
1. P’shat: adapted from the JPS Torah Commentary and edited by Chaim Potok, seeking to explain the basic meaning of the text
2. D’rash: edited by Harold Kushner, selects insights from over 2000 years of Torah study, including passages from the Talmud and Midrash, the teachings of the Sages, comments by Rashi, homiletic and psychological insights by hasidic teachers, and readings by contemporary rabbis and scholars, including women’s voices.
– New haftarot commentary by noted biblical scholar Michael Fishbane point out the connections to the weekly Torah portion, provides line-by-line commentary on the prophetic text, and indicates readings for Sephardic and Ashkenazic communities.
– Special section pointing to Jewish laws based on biblical passages (halakhah l’ma-aseh).
– Notation of traditional readings for Sephardic and Ashkenazic communities.
This item is sold by:
Note: AllJudaica.com is owned by Rosenblum’s World of Judaica, which is one of the oldest Judaica stores in the United States. Their store has been open for over 75 years!
Readers found more information by searching for:
- etz hayim online (1)
You might also like: