The Conservative Movement in Israel is considering ordaining gay and lesbian rabbis, the Jewish Press reported.
According to the website, the Schechter Rabbinical Seminary in Jerusalem has decided to start accepting gay and lesbian students for ordination classes beginning in the next academic year.
The Schechter Seminary is “affiliated with the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York and trains educational and spiritual, non-Orthodox leaders for positions in Israel,” the report said.
“The Schechter Rabbinical Seminary views the serious process leading to this decision as an example of confronting social dilemmas within the framework of tradition and halachah,” Hanan Alexander, chair of the seminary’s Board of Trustees, was quoted as saying in a statement.
Read More: @ ynetnews.com
You might also like:
- Israeli Conservative Movement Approves Ordination of Gay Rabbis
- CUNY to rescind decision withholding honor from Kushner over anti-Israel views
- AllJewishLinks.com Newsletter Issue # 27 April 25, 2012
- Obama hires former NJDC chief in bid to secure Jewish votes
- Orthodox groups clarify stance on reporting child abuse